Wednesday, October 21, 2009

home sweet Raul Street

WTF blogspot?? You post the pictures in the exact reverse order that you're given them? Do you have any idea how busy I am blogspot? What am I supposed to do with this? Tell my story backwards?

Damnit. Scroll down to the picture of the cute blonde in the uhaul and follow the story upwards...

When we removed the oven knobs and handles to squeak the fridge by, we somehow compromised the entire oven's stability. I mean obviously the screws for the handles should run the entire length of the heavy door and also secure it to the frame of the actual oven. Absolutely. Nothing a little scotch tape couldn't tackle. Stay tuned for the afters!
James and I hit a real relationship milestone whilst moving in the fridge he found on craigslist. Together we engineered the hell out of this mammoth fridge, negotiating backyards, patio doors, tile floors, kitchen islands, counter tops, cabinet doors, oven knobs, doors and drawers, James' ego and my inappropriate laughter. I believe the whole ordeal clocked in just over 3 hours, ending in a lovely ceremony in which James married the fridge and house, aka they shall never be parted by man or nature. I asked James how he knew he didn't just perform a gay appliance/house ceremony and lets just say he definitely kept his laughter on the inside.

The living room (noun, place of ACTION). There was no time to get a shot of the room empty as time was of the essence while unloading the truck. James didn't want to give the house any time to change its mind. Now it would be too much work for the house to break up with us, what with our crap spread out to every available square foot. Plans for the living room? New couch, paint, a pack of pomeranians under foot and a bigger, thinner, brighter, sharper, HDier TV. James and I are prioritizing the list differently but I'm confident we can work something out.
I apologize for no photo of the outside of the house. Huge oversight on my part, I'd run outside right now but I know my flash isn't strong enough for 8:30 dawkness. But just take a look at that kitchen folks! The kitchen, living room and dining area are all one giant room at the front of the house. This kitchen makes washing dishes tolerable since one can still feel included in the ACTION instead of banished to some kind of hot, greasy dungeon where one is made to wash dishes. I made sure to take a few before shots so as to make the afters look that much better. I'm not what one would call decorationally-gifted...but I do know what looks crazy.

In the beginning, the house we had been courting (stalking) for two months finally called back. We were both excited and stunned as we both had tried to keep the house in the back of our minds. Trying to get through the day to day without daydreaming about french drains, seized disposals and furnace fans, missing pieces of rain gutter or spending $100 at Home Depot every single time we go...all the magic that occupanies home-ownership. But I'm getting side-tracked here, once the house called back things took off pretty quickly, real hot and heavy like. We all pretty much moved in together the second time I saw the house. Do I believe in love at first sight? I can't say for sure but I will tell you that I've never jumped up and down for any other front door, ever. On a sidenote, James handled the 26' Uhaul like a real pro. I have this wonderful idea that should we ever be unemployed at the same time that we'll drive truck as a couple for one year. See the USA in our Chevrolet as they say...




No comments:

Post a Comment